The Meisner Intensive at The Robert Mello Studio is a rigorous and demanding series of classes for the professional-minded actor – whether beginner or advanced – based on the technique of legendary acting teacher, Sanford Meisner.
In the style and spirit of the professional-level classes that top actors in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago are regularly training in, The Intensive will challenge you like no other classes in Atlanta.
You’ll strip away layers and reveal the deeper actor – the one that makes strong, organic and imaginative choices. With dedication and hard work, you will leave the program with a set of tools and skills that you can use for your entire career.
It’s tough. It’s scary. It works.
No other acting studio in Atlanta can boast a list of past and current students with series regular, recurring, guest star, and co-start credits like The Robert Mello Studio can.
Auditing is not allowed for any of the Meisner Program classes. Instead, a free sample class is usually held before the start of each new intensive. The sample class is an opportunity to learn more about the technique, Robert Mello’s teaching style and whether or not instructor and student are a good fit. In order to attend a sample class, you must first complete an application, and the application must be accepted.
Required Interview: January 7
For those interested in the daytime intensive, interviews will take place between 10 AM and 3PM.
For those interested in the evening intensive, interviews will take place between 6 PM and 10 PM.
Your interview time will be assigned after your application has been accepted.
Required Sample Class: January 9th
Daytime: 11 AM – 2 PM
Evening 7 PM – 10 PM
The daytime intensive begins January 14, 2020
The evening intensive begins January 14, 2020
There are three steps you must complete in order to be considered for admission to The Meisner Program at The Robert Mello Studio.
- Complete an application. Click here to be taken to the application page.
- In person interviews are required. Once your application has been accepted, you will be given the date for your interview. Please reply to that e-mail to confirm your attendance.
- You will be required to attend a mandatory sample class.
Please read all the FAQs and information about the intensive below before emailing with a question.
Basic information about THE INTENSIVES
The intensives meet twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11-2 pm or 7-10 pm. The classes run for approximately 6 months, or 24 weeks, and cost $358 every 8 classes – with a $10 processing fee (see bottom of page for payment options).
The intensives are a serious commitment, so please do not apply if you are not prepared to commit your time and energy to being in class regularly, and be prepared to work hard.
The Four Levels
MEISNER TECHNIQUE 1: THE FOUNDATION FOR FILM & STAGE ACTING
In this eight session, four week unit, you’ll get out of your head, learn how to make strong, exciting choices and begin to develop an unshakeable foundation and confidence in your acting as you dramatically expand your emotional range and learn how to listen and respond truthfully in the moment. Sanford Meisner defined acting as “The ability to live truthfully under imaginary circumstances” and this first class will breakdown the walls that keep us from bringing the single most important element to any performance: ourselves.
No outside work is required for this unit.
MEISNER TECHNIQUE 2: PREPARING FOR THE ROLE
In this eight session, four week unit, you will begin to explore emotional preparation for a scene or audition through a series of advanced exercises, as you continue to strengthen the skill set you gained in the Meisner 1 class.
MEISNER TECHNIQUE 3A: WORKING WITH THE SCRIPT
Applying the technique to the script. You will be paired with a partner and assigned challenging and compelling scenes. Actors have the opportunity to work on one or two scenes, depending on progress. This is an 8 session unit.
MEISNER TECHNIQUE 3B: WORKING WITH THE SCRIPT/On Camera
Applying the technique to the script. You will be assigned compelling scenes from TV and Film as you bridge the technique into on-camera work.
Upon completion of the Intensive, you will continue to work and build your skills through our ongoing Meisner Maintenance and Scene Study Class.
Please note: We do not at this time offer individual 8 week sessions for each of the units. Units 1-3B are currently only offered in the Intensive format, which requires a commitment of attending class twice per week for 22 weeks.
PAYMENT FOR THE INTENSIVE
You have several options to pay for the intensive:
- You may pay in full using a credit card.
- You may pay a $358 deposit (plus $10 processing fee) when you are accepted to the class (which will be applied towards your first month of study), and you will pay $368 a month for four additional months. We will invoice you through PayPal once you are accepted.
- You may use the Bill Me Later option on PayPal. Bill Me Later offers a six month, no interest charge payment plan – on approved credit. This program is not offered through the Studio, so you will need to do your own research and application through PayPal to use this option.
Applications Dos, Don’ts, and FAQ
- Make sure you attach both your headshot and resume. Without these two documents, your application cannot go forward. Please see the FAQ below if you do not have a professional headshot or a resume.
- Reply promptly to confirm receipt of any communication that requests a reply. Don’t reply to a generic “Your application is under review” e-mail, but please reply to any e-mails that specifically request one.
- Allow 3-4 business days for a response. We have a high volume of applications, and are replying to everyone as promptly as possible.
- Feel free to ask me any questions not answered by this web page. However, there are a lot of details here, so please read carefully!
- Don’t list background extra, stand-in work, or extra work of any kind on your resume. Please don’t list public speaking or teaching experience.
- Don’t apply for an intensive when applications are not open.
- Don’t send questions answered by the website. There’s a lot of information here, so please read carefully before e-mailing us a question.
- Did you receive my application? Yes. Give us at least three business days to reply to your application. We receive a high volume of applications, and they take time to review.
- What if I don’t have a professional headshot? That’s ok—have a friend take a photo of you in good lighting from the chest up and attach that to your application. Do not send a selfie, a picture from a webcam, a picture with bad lighting, a picture with others in it, or a full body shot.
- What if I don’t have a resume? If you do not have a resume, please create one with any acting experience, training, and special skills you have, even if the resume is short. Do not list extra or stand-in work. Make sure you include contact info and agency representation, if any. Please be sure to list your film/ TV credits with the type of role (e.g. Lead, Supporting, Co-Star, Guest Star, Recurring, etc.), not the character name. Here’s a good example of how to craft a professional acting resume: http://www.dailyactor.com/acting-resume/
- I’ve been conditionally accepted. What does that mean? It means you will attend an interview with Rob to determine if the two of you feel you’re a good fit. From there, you might be asked to attend the sample class later that week to give you a feel for the course and the technique. If both parties agree from there that the intensive is right for you, then you will be asked to join. Do not make a payment until you have been fully accepted, and do not list the sample class on your resume.
- Can I audit the current Meisner Intensive? Due to the sensitive nature of the work explored in the class, auditing is not permitted—the sample class is your chance to gain an understanding of the technique and how the class will work.
- Is there a way to take just the Level One Meisner, rather than the whole Levels 1-3 Intensive? Not at this time.
- I have previous Meisner experience—can I fast track to the Level 4 class? This is considered on a case-by-case basis. No two Meisner teachers are alike, so it might be necessary for you and Rob to get on the same page about the technique before progressing to Level 4. Send us an e-mail and we’ll talk.
- I want to take the intensive, but I can’t make this one work with my schedule/ finances. What do I do? If you wish to be placed on the interest list and notified when the next intensive becomes available, please email Studio Administrator, Lindsey Sharpless, at email@example.com. In the meantime, be sure to check out our other great classes and workshops.