The Meisner Intensive at The Robert Mello Studio is a rigorous and demanding series of classes for the professional-minded actor – whether beginner or advanced – based on the technique of legendary acting teacher, Sanford Meisner.
In the style and spirit of the professional-level classes that top actors in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago are regularly training in, The Intensive will challenge you like no other classes in Atlanta.
- You’ll strip away layers and reveal the deeper actor – the one that makes strong, organic and imaginative choices.
- With dedication and hard work, you will leave the program with a set of tools and skills that will serve your entire career.
- You’ll be challenged like never before and gain confidence.
It’s tough. It’s scary. It works.
No other acting studio in Atlanta can boast a list of past and current students with series regular, recurring, guest star, and co-start credits like The Robert Mello Studio can.
Auditing is not allowed for any of the Meisner Program classes. Instead, a free sample class is usually held before the start of each new intensive. The sample class is an opportunity to learn more about the technique, Robert Mello’s teaching style and whether or not instructor and student are a good fit. In order to attend a sample class, you must first complete an application, and the application must be accepted.
Monday/Wednesday, 7-10 PM
Begins October 26
Interview Date: October 19th. Interview slots will begin at 5 PM.
Required Sample Class: October 22th, 7 PM – 10 PM
Tuesday/Thursday, 11 AM – 2 PM
Begins October 27th
Interview Date: October 19th. Interview slots will begin at 10AM
Required Sample Class: October 22th, 11 AM – 1 PM
The Intensive is seven months long.
Because of COVID-19 and its impact on actors – we have lowered the monthly price of the intensive to $300 + a $10 processing fee.
There are three steps you must complete in order to be considered for admission to The Meisner Program at The Robert Mello Studio.
- Complete an application. Click here to be taken to the application page.
- In person interviews are required. Once your application has been accepted, you will be given the date for your interview. Please reply to that e-mail to confirm your attendance.
- You will be required to attend a mandatory sample class.
Please read all the FAQs and information about the intensive below before emailing with a question.
BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE INTENSIVE
The intensives meet two times a week, three hours in each class.
The intensive is approximately seven months long.
Because of Covid-19, the following will be in effect until further notice:
1. The intensive will be a mix of virtual and in person classes.
2. In person classes will require masks and the taking of temperatures upon arrival.
3. You will be required to take a Covid-19 test a minimum of every other week and provide documentation.
4. Class size will be limited to 10.
The intensives are a serious commitment, so please do not apply if you are not prepared to commit your time and energy to being in class regularly, and be prepared to work hard.
The Four Training Blocks
The Intensive is basically broken into four training blocks:
Block One: THE FOUNDATION FOR FILM & STAGE ACTING
In this initial training block, the focus is on getting you out of your head, learning how to make bold, exciting choices, and developing an unshakeable foundation and confidence in your acting. Here you will dramatically expand your emotional range and learn how to listen and respond truthfully in the moment. Sanford Meisner defined acting as “The ability to live truthfully under imaginary circumstances,” and this first block will breakdown the walls that keep us from bringing the single most crucial element to any performance: ourselves.
No outside work is required for this unit.
Block Two: PREPARING FOR THE ROLE
Here you will begin to explore emotional preparation for scenes or auditions through a series of advanced exercises as you continue to strengthen the skill set you gained in the Meisner 1 class.
Block Three: INTRODUCTION OF TEXT
You are applying the technique via on-camera and traditional scene study work. For traditional scene study, you will be paired with a partner and assigned challenging and compelling scene work. You will work several scenes in both categories.
PAYMENT FOR THE INTENSIVE
You have several options to pay for the intensive:
- You may pay in full using a credit card.
- You may pay monthly using credit or debit card.
- You may pay a $300 deposit (plus $10 processing fee) when you are accepted to the class (which will be applied towards your first month of study), and you will pay $310 a month for six additional additional months. We will invoice you through PayPal once you are accepted.
- You may use the Bill Me Later option on PayPal. Bill Me Later offers a six month, no interest charge payment plan – on approved credit. This program is not offered through the Studio, so you will need to do your own research and application through PayPal to use this option.
Applications Dos, Don’ts, and FAQ
- Make sure you attach both your headshot and resume. Without these two documents, your application cannot go forward. Please see the FAQ below if you do not have a professional headshot or a resume.
- Reply promptly to confirm receipt of any communication that requests a reply. Don’t reply to a generic “Your application is under review” e-mail, but please reply to any e-mails that specifically request one.
- Allow 3-4 business days for a response. We have a high volume of applications, and are replying to everyone as promptly as possible.
- Feel free to ask me any questions not answered by this web page. However, there are a lot of details here, so please read carefully!
- Don’t list background extra, stand-in work, or extra work of any kind on your resume. Please don’t list public speaking or teaching experience.
- Don’t apply for an intensive when applications are not open.
- Don’t send questions answered by the website. There’s a lot of information here, so please read carefully before e-mailing us a question.
- Did you receive my application? Yes. Give us at least three business days to reply to your application. We receive a high volume of applications, and they take time to review.
- What if I don’t have a professional headshot? That’s ok—have a friend take a photo of you in good lighting from the chest up and attach that to your application. Do not send a selfie, a picture from a webcam, a picture with bad lighting, a picture with others in it, or a full body shot.
- What if I don’t have a resume? If you do not have a resume, please create one with any acting experience, training, and special skills you have, even if the resume is short. Do not list extra or stand-in work. Make sure you include contact info and agency representation, if any. Please be sure to list your film/ TV credits with the type of role (e.g. Lead, Supporting, Co-Star, Guest Star, Recurring, etc.), not the character name. Here’s a good example of how to craft a professional acting resume: http://www.dailyactor.com/acting-resume/
- I’ve been conditionally accepted. What does that mean? It means you will attend an interview with Rob to determine if the two of you feel you’re a good fit. From there, you might be asked to attend the sample class later that week to give you a feel for the course and the technique. If both parties agree from there that the intensive is right for you, then you will be asked to join. Do not make a payment until you have been fully accepted, and do not list the sample class on your resume.
- Can I audit the current Meisner Intensive? Due to the sensitive nature of the work explored in the class, auditing is not permitted—the sample class is your chance to gain an understanding of the technique and how the class will work.
- Is there a way to take just the Level One Meisner, rather than the whole Levels 1-3 Intensive? Not at this time.
- I have previous Meisner experience—can I fast track to the Level 4 class? This is considered on a case-by-case basis. No two Meisner teachers are alike, so it might be necessary for you and Rob to get on the same page about the technique before progressing to Level 4. Send us an e-mail and we’ll talk.
- I want to take the intensive, but I can’t make this one work with my schedule/ finances. What do I do? If you wish to be placed on the interest list and notified when the next intensive becomes available, please email Studio Administrator, Lindsey, at email@example.com. In the meantime, be sure to check out our other great classes and workshops.